Performing a migration from one OS to another - think Windows XP to Windows 7 - faces many challenges. How to make all the old applications work on the new system? How to prevent the new OS from getting contaminated with trash and baggage from the old one? What about software conflicts - different versions of same app in the two systems? How to cope with changed OS interfaces and structure?
Zinstall solves these problem globally, by design. The end result of a Zinstall migration is 2 "TV channels", or desktops, on 1 PC. One "channel" is the new OS, with its new features, new applications and new look and feel. The other "channel" is the old, familiar desktop, with the entire user habitat preserved, and a look and feel which is identical to the user's old, familiar environment.
The switch between these two desktops is instantaneous, with a single click on the Zinstall tray icon. Users are free to copy files, text or any other data between the desktops, and access one desktop's files from another.
With Zinstall TV-Channels solution, users are able to gradually get used to their new OS, and move from the old environment to the new one at their own pace. When working on the "Old desktop", the user feels right at home - everything works just like it used to on the old PC. So if the user is not yet comfortable with the new Outlook 2007, he can still use Outlook 2003 on the old desktop in the meantime.
Since the desktops are separated, you can be sure the new, clean OS remains that way. No buggy apps are installed, no registry keys miss end up where they are not supposed to, no half-integrated features enter the OS. You get two perfectly working systems - not one confused collection of old and new parts.
Main benefits of the TV-Channels
- Post-migration comfort and intuitive ease of use
- The users enjoy both their new, exciting OS and their old, familiar environment simultaneously. The switch between the future and the past is instant - with a single click. Naturally, users can work on their old system just like before - playing music and video, copying files back and forth to the new system, and accessing the network.
- Separating the new from the old
- By keeping the new and old systems separated, we make sure that no "junk" from the old system penetrates the solid new installation. No malware, no corrupt files, no crudely installed applications ever make it to the polished, new OS.
- 100% confidence - by design
- Zinstall takes everything there is on the old system. All the applications, all the settings, all the files are available on the new PC - no exceptions. You no longer have to keep the old PCs around for months "just to make sure". Everything is already safe.
- Smooth migration at your own pace
- With the "Two channels" solutions, users are free to take their time moving to the new system. They are not in a "sink or swim" situation, desperately trying to fight their way through the total change of a new OS. They can gradually learn the new ways, and move their work focus to the new environment when they feel ready.