- Will application X be available after the migration?
- How is Zinstall XP7 different from other products?
- Can I migrate a Windows XP PC to a Windows 7 on another PC?
- How to migrate from a hard drive with Windows XP to a new hard drive with Windows 7 using Zinstall XP7?
- How to do an in place migration from Windows XP to Windows 7 using Zinstall XP7?
- How to convert my file system from FAT32 to NTFS?
- I have purchase a Zinstall Enterprise Server, and would like to purchase additional license. How do I load the licenses?
Will application X be available after the migration?
Yes. All of your applications are migrated to Windows 7 - as are their settings and files.
Here are two comparison tables for your information:
Yes. You just have to connect the two PCs to the same network. If you already have a home network, you are all set. Otherwise, connect your PCs with a regular network cable - Zinstall will take care of all the configurations.
How to migrate from a hard drive
with Windows XP to a new hard drive with Windows 7 using Zinstall
In order to migrate from Windows XP ( or Vista ) installed on an old hard drive to Windows 7 on a new hard drive, the following steps must be taken:
- Shutdown your PC and remove the old hard drive from your computer.
- Connect the new hard drive instead.
- Turn on your PC and install Windows 7 on the new hard drive.
- Once Windows 7 is installed - shutdown your PC and connect the old hard drive.
- Turn on the computer and make sure that Windows 7 boots. If it doesn't, shutdown your computer and swap the connection of the old and new hard drives to your motherboard.
- Run Zinstall XP7 from Windows 7, select the correct scenario ( One PC, Migration to new hard drive ) and just press GO.
In order to perform an in place migration from Windows XP to Windows 7 on the same hard drive, the following must be done:
- Boot your computer from the Windows 7 installation DVD
- Click Install Now
- Select "Custom(Advanced)" installation type ( NOT "Upgrade" )
- When asked "Where do you want to install Windows?" - select the partition where your Windows XP is installed. If you select a different partition - in place migration will NOT be possible.
- The installation program will warn you that all the files of your old windows installation will be moved to "Windows.Old" - this is exactly what we want, so just press OK
- Once Windows 7 installation is complete - run Zinstall XP7 and select your migration scenario ( One PC, In place migration ) and just press GO.
Here are the steps to convert the filesystem on your old computer from FAT/FAT32 to NTFS:
Open a command prompt by going to Start Menu -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt
In the command prompt, type the following command and press enter:
convert c: /FS:NTFS
Answer YES to question about “volume in use, do you wish to force?”
Answer YES to question about “system volume, schedule for next boot?”
Now, restart your computer
When windows begins to start , let it do a disk check ( it will say that “the type of the filesystem is FAT, press any key to cancel disk check” - do NOT press any key at this stage )
Once a disk check is done, conversion to NTFS will begin. This may take some time, please wait for it to finish
Once the conversion is finished, windows will reboot itself once more.
Your file system is now upgraded to NTFS.
purchased a Zinstall Enterprise Server, and would like to purchase
additional licenses. How do I load the licenses?
Once you purchase another license pack, it is immediately updated on the activation server and you will instantly be able to perform additional migrations.