How to transfer programs and files to Windows 10
A common question with the release of Windows 10 is - "How can I transfer my programs and files from the computer I have now, to a new Windows 10 system?".
This is even more important because Windows 10 no longer includes any "Easy Transfer" functionality.
Still, every computer user needs to transfer programs, settings and files from the original Windows 7 or Windows 8 system, to the new Windows 10 computer. There are 3 parts that are important to the transfer:
- Files, such documents, pictures, music, pictures and emails
- Settings, such as user profiles, emails, accounts, passwords, favorites, bookmarks, wallpaper and other personalization
- Programs, such as transferring Microsoft Office, Adobe Photoshop, Quickbooks, TurboTax, Firefox, Chrome, and other programs to the new computer
Note: this guide relates to a transfer from one computer to another computer running Windows 10. If you are upgrading to Windows 10 in-place, on the same physical computer, please see the appropriate guide.
How to transfer programs and files to Windows 10 computer
- Run Zinstall WinWin on your current computer (the one you are transferring from).
Note: You can download WinWin here, and its user guide here.
- Run Zinstall WinWin on the new Windows 10 computer
- You don't need to do any configurations for the computers to connect - it's automatic
- If the computers are already connect to same router, same Internet connection, or same wireless connection, you don't need anything else
- If the computers are not connected at all, connect them with a network / Ethernet cable
- If you'd like to select which applications and files you want to transfer, press the Advanced menu. If you just want to transfer everything, you don't need to go to the Advanced menu.
- Press "Go" on the Windows 10 computer to start the transfer