How to move from Vista to Windows 11 or Windows 10, and copy all programs and files
In this guide, we will see how to easily transfer from an old Vista computer to a new Windows 11 or Windows 10 computer.
For Windows Vista users, Windows does not provide a built-in way to make the transfer to new PC. Windows 11 and Windows 10 also no longer include any “Easy Transfer” functionality. Luckily, there is a better – and easier – way to copy everything from Vista to Windows 11 or Windows 10.
In this guide, we will see how to use Zinstall WinWin to easily transfer from an old Vista computer to a another Windows 11 or Windows 10 computer. The transfer will cover:
- Files, such documents, pictures, music, pictures and emails
- Settings, such as user profiles, emails, accounts, passwords, favorites, bookmarks, wallpaper and other personalization
- Programs, such as transferring Microsoft Office, Adobe Photoshop, Quickbooks, TurboTax, Firefox, Chrome, and other programs to the new computer
Note: this guide relates to a transfer from one computer to another computer running Windows 11 or Windows 10. If you are upgrading to Windows 11 or Windows 10 in-place, on the same physical computer, please see the appropriate guide.
How to transfer programs and files from Vista to Windows 11 or Windows 10
- Run Zinstall WinWin on your old Vista computer (the one you are transferring from).
Note: You can download WinWin here, and its user guide here.
- Run Zinstall WinWin on the new Windows 11 or Windows 10 computer
- You don’t need to do any configurations for the computers to connect – it’s automatic
- If the computers are already connect to same router, same Internet connection, or same wireless connection, you don’t need anything else
- If the computers are not connected at all, connect them with a network / Ethernet cable
- If you’d like to select which applications and files you want to transfer, press the Advanced menu. If you just want to transfer everything, you don’t need to go to the Advanced menu.
- Press “Go” on the Windows 11 or Windows 10 computer to start the transfer
Video tutorial – how to transfer from Vista to Windows 11 or Windows 10